Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Digging Deeper

“Dig Deeper” –Shawn T
Once or twice a week I hear these words being screamed at me through my T.V. by none other than Shawn Thompson, otherwise known as Shawn T. I try to do his Insanity and Asylum workouts at least once a week to help with my training. I also do it to see if maybe, one day I will be able to complete a workout without stopping. A few weeks ago I turned 36 and decided that this would be the year that I would test my physical limits. For over a decade I went to the gym with a set plan: lift, cardio, stretch then home. I could not stay from my workout because the type of competitions I did required a certain regimen. Every year I would hit a wall where I no longer wanted to workout. I would loathe going to the gym. Then I rediscovered my love of dance and running. In 3 weeks I will step on stage to perform for me in almost 10 years. I am pulling out all the stops and suffering from a banged up, bruised body. It is all worth it. In 5 weeks I will be running my first half-marathon. The training is killing me but I am digging deeper.
Often I train alone so it is up to me to push myself. I do what it takes to dig inside and find that inner strength and drive to get me through. The people who drive by me when I am running, I am sure, think I am crazy. I sing out loud. I talk to myself. I yell at myself. I even sometimes scream. Randomly enough, I often cry. Every session I ask myself, have I given it everything? Did I dance with all my heart? Did I run as fast as my legs would take me? Next time you train listen to yourself. Are you telling yourself you can’t do it or are you digging deeper and finding that inner voice to scream at yourself to push harder?

No comments: